History of Tamilnadu Table TennisWhen we approached the legendary G. Jagannath on how the game of table tennis have evolved from the olden days to the present scenario. He was so happy to share the phases of the Table Tennis scene in Tamilnadu with defence techniques in playing and how coaching centres changed the face of the game In the 1950s, it took ‘elbow power' to play table tennis in Madras. The social club offering just one table, a bunch of players waited eagerly for their turn and on the completion of a game the waiting ones rush to occupy the table. In those days the Defence was the key to win matches. As and when the changes in the game paved way to the attack which is an aggressive mode of play. In the late 50’s he happily recalls about the sand paper bat which he used to play with the roughened bat. In the 60’s he got introduced to the sandwich bats. The 50’s saw the emergence of stalwarts Shivaram, Panchapakesan and Thiruvengadam to name a few. The 60’s belong to V. Ramachandran, N.C. Raghavan, V.C. Murugesh, S. Baradhan. A. George, K.R. Pillay, G. Ranganayakulu, and K. Ashok who shouldered the TT flag of Tamilnadu. There were positive changes in the mid-1970s, when V. Ramachandran — who was India number two in the early 1960s — established Madras' first coaching academy at Santhome High School; he was followed immediately by Senapathi who set up MSR Academy at Adyar. These academies slowly changed the way table tennis was played in Madras.
BIO G. JAGANNATH Born in 1945, he won the national table tennis championship in 1970 and received the Arjuna Award. He has represented India in six world, three Asian and three Commonwealth championships.